Monday 11 April 2011

Survey Trip - Reflections

Back in the studio now and looking back at last week's trip to Upper Wharfedale. Well it was successful in the number of geocaches found and most were of the 'waterproof' lunchbox type and a similar size to the containers proposed for GeoArtCache. Identifying locations for my caches was another matter.

I was surprised by how difficult it was to find suitable locations and this is made more difficult by the fact that I'm trying to let my research dictate the location rather than the other way about. I think though that I will have to be a little more creative with the locating and combine some of my facts and themes into less caches.

The caches have to be hidden thoughtfully and must not damage any structures or involve burying the boxes. There are a lot of stone walls around Buckden and they are tempting sites for caches but they are off limits - the farmers have a difficult enough time keeping these structures in good order without geocachers pulling them apart looking for a Tupperware box.

Staying on the subject of walls, it always amazes me the lengths landowners went to to identify the limits of their domains across rough ground. Massive walls were built or heavy-posted wire fences strung across some of our most inaccessible landscapes - the walls on Birk's Fell ridge for instance. I tried to imagine the army of workers that must have been employed to build and maintain them. Massive feats but dwarfed by the larger scale of the fells and skies.


These land divisions would have been laid down in the nineteenth century I assume but how much of what we see there today is original? Stone is being replaced by the more flexible medium of wire and wood post but there is still much to maintain and I imagine that if you have a wall in fairly good repair you don't want to spend money on new fences if you can get away with occasional rebuilding of gaps. On Birk's Fell there were certainly marks indicating that stretches of fallen wall may be rebuilt soon. A quick look around the Internet will show that there are plenty of people interested in the craft of walling (e.g. the Yorkshire Drystone Walling Guild offers courses and advice). They are also convenient features on which to explore the secret world of lichens and mosses so treat them with respect. To find out more the National Park also has a detailed introductory page.

Back to the geocaching. I did find enough sites to consider but I will now have to get these organised and find out if there are any landownership issues before I can fully commit to them. The locations will help to inform the artwork for the 'prizes' but I will make a start on developing this. So, lots to do but still seven weeks left before the official launch of GeoArtCache. Must get on...

No comments:

Post a Comment